Monday, May 4, 2009

Hide and Seek


There has been a thick black cloud hovering over my head these past couple days.

The simplest task has suddenly become the hardest.

I feel like the closest people to me are my worst enemies.

My smile has faded-- people are noticing.

Talking is even a struggle.

............... Until This afternoon.

My 5 year old niece talked me into playing Hide and Seek with her, my first response was, no, then... I looked at her, her eyes slowly dropped and her smile smeared to her chin. "What did I just say?" I asked myself, no inclination of what I had even said, my thoughts and my words have been intertwined within themselves, and I wasn't sure what actually came out. I immediately corrected myself once I read her sweet face.

I counted first. one, two, three,......Twenty, Ready or not here I come.
As I tip toed out into the living room, I found a small hump under a blanket on top of the couch, "I FOUND YOU!" I yelled, She quickly escaped from underneath her cover and Marshall then slowly came out from his hiding place.

It was my turn to hide, I had the perfect hiding spot. In our entry closet there is a secret step inside our closet, nobody would ever know it was there. I climbed up into the closet and stood in the inky black dark, I could hear the quick footsteps and Amy's muffled grunts and moans of her disappointment through the wall. She couldn't find me... She would never find me...unless she had help.

As I stood behind the wall,in the dark, It hit me.

Possibly, I have been seeking for something I will never find by myself.

Seeking for Happiness
by Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Seeking for happiness we must go slowly;
The road leads not down avenues of haste;
But often gently winds through by ways lowly,
Whose hidden pleasures are serene and chaste
Seeking for happiness we must take heed
Of simple joys that are not found in speed.

Eager for noon-time’s large effulgent splendour,
Too oft we miss the beauty of the dawn,
Which tiptoes by us, evanescent, tender,
Its pure delights unrecognised till gone.
Seeking for happiness we needs must care
For all the little things that make life fair.

Dreaming of future pleasures and achievements
We must not let to-day starve at our door;
Nor wait till after losses and bereavements
Before we count the riches in our store.
Seeking for happiness we must prize this -
Not what will be, or was, but that which is.

In simple pathways hand in hand with duty
(With faith and love, too, ever at her side),
May happiness be met in all her beauty
The while we search for her both far and wide.
Seeking for happiness we find the way
Doing the things we ought to do each day.



The footsteps got closer...

I was found.