Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Catching up.


These boys have been such a warm light on these cold wintry days. I have felt so grateful to be able to be with them day in and day out. I have found so much joy in their little spirits and their new found intelligence that they are realizing within themselves. I have felt tremendously better and more energetic since the beginning of the year, thank heavens. This pregnancy has been so unusually comfortable since my first trimester. I actually feel the best that I have ever felt pregnant. So much stronger and sometimes forgetting that I am pregnant at all until I am doing mindless chores and I find myself totally winded and out of breath. I am a lot pickier about the food I eat, which makes me feel like a giant snob, but none of it is fancy or complicated. More like, I just want a whopper or a big mac and nothing else will curb it until I have it. 

Homeschooling has been amazing this month. I was so happy to get back into the swing of things after the holidays. I tried not to take too long of a break with the boys knowing it would be a beast to get back into the swing of things again. 

This year, we are focusing on a value a month. We are talking, learning, practicing, using this value as much as we can to really apply it into our lives and know it. We eased into this speaking about Honesty.
January was Loyalty and Dependability. February is Respect. March is something else. We have LOVED doing this. The boys have taken to it really well.

Here are a couple things/people we have learned and focused our lessons on.

- Egyptian pyramids
-Mummification
-Moses
-Heavenly Father's mission for his children (each of us individually)
-Laura Ingalls Wilder. (We are finishing up little house in the big woods) We have learned SO much about the time in which she lived. We have loved this.
-With our reading of (little house) we have focused and discussed family recreational activities, hard work within the home, traditions and celebrations.
-Isaac Watts- Such an interesting, talented and genius man! The Father of Harmnody. We loved learning of him.
-The Ancient wonders of the world.
-Moses when he parted the red sea and when he received the ten commandments
-Martin Luther King- being kind!
-We finished Indian in the Cupboard and then watched the movie. We compared and contrasted the differences. We decided that the book was WAY better than the movie.
-Amphibians, Reptiles and how Heavenly Father has created everything for a purpose and uniquely.
-We have found a new love for podcast stories. Sometimes, I will stop mid story and ask the boys thought provoking questions about what they think will happen or how they would feel if it were them. They love to see if they are right about what they think.
-We have attempted to start Farmer Boy- Another Laura Ingalls Wilder. 
-MOANA. -My boys have this soundtrack memorized and also have their own choreography as they have pulled the couch cushions off every surface and made "voyaging boats". They take off their shirts and embrace their Hawaiian heritage.

There are so many more things that have come up but those were a few that really stick out.

I have learned to no longer make a "to do list" for my day and instead write in my planner/journal all the things I/we actually accomplished. I realized while doing this that my days are jam packed with amazing little things that add up to being more interesting and exciting for the boys instead of being stressed and hard on myself for not getting to the things that were probably forced and unexciting anyways.

Marshall's swim season is coming to an end and I have to say, as I always do at this time of year. I am so glad. It will be so nice to have him home for dinner and bedtime. I have managed to get all the boys fed, bathed/dressed and in bed by 6:30 a lot of the time and have felt pretty amazing for it. (They are up pretty early 5-6 am, so they are pretty wiped out by this time. They don't even fight it)

With swim season wrapping up, our plans now are to continue to search for a new home while working on the little things in ours now. We are hoping to move before the baby comes, but if it doesn't work out, that's okay too. At least we will try. We are praying that something will come along for us that is a right fit for our family's needs. We have a pretty specific search criteria which is making it a little tricky to find an ideal space for us. Something will come along. Just hoping sooner than later.

Ezra has plowed through 3 math curriculum books and has picked up reading! He is surprising me everyday with all that he is learning and applying. I am so proud of him.

Eli is continuing to make us laugh with his wild somersaults, flips on the couch and jumps off anything elevated. He is doing math and reading with Ezra at his own pace and loves the stories that we are reading together. He is so much fun. We are planing on signing him up for gymnastics for spring session so if he does flips, he isn't hurting himself. ;)

Oliver is signing and talking- so much communicating. He is also one who loves books. He enjoys coloring with the boys and being right along side them during our lesson time. He does NOT want to be left out. He is getting so big, I can't even handle it. I can' believe he will be a big brother in a few months. It is almost heartbreaking but exciting all at once.

Here are some photos from my phone from the last couple weeks. I have hardly had time to pick up my real camera and take some decent shots.


Here is their "I can be Kind" lesson and art piece. (From MLK day)

Practicing our letter writing in flour.



Coloring and cutting our gems for our mummies.




Prepping our mummy


Oliver actually sits for a real haircut like a man! He doesn't even flinch!


The boys are still dressing up and imaging a new setting and world around them.

Dentist visits went awesome! No cavity club!


Meeting Finn the neighborhood ice fish.


The boys made Hawaiian leis out of their race tracks.

Ezra has been offering to take on the dishes more a lot lately and has been so helpful. I am so grateful for his service.

Marshall and I have managed to have some regular date nights/lunches and target trips!

Goofy Eli wearing my glasses.

We met our newest little cousin, Levi. The boys were obsessed with him and all wanted to touch him,

We practiced courtesy and manners at Burger King! No better place! They took me on a date!

My growing bump! 17 weeks here.

Oliver is 22 months! Almost 2! He can hardly believe it! He will be having his golden birthday, too! I will have to throw a party!

The boys all wanting to help with the vacuuming chore. I hope their enthusiasm for chores never fades.

Walked out of the shower and into a pirate battle. They completely transformed the living room to a real setting in their imaginations and they were all deep into it. It was great.


That's all for now! More to come, I am sure!